Thursday, September 01, 2005

I don't get it, but I can do it

I hate it when I go to a class, get lost in the lectures, and feel
like I'm the dumbest person there (even though I know I'm not) but be
able to do all the homework and understand the text completely.

Most people would just tell me 'Well, that's great, why care about
what you understand? That's not important, what's important is
getting the grade, and since you can do the work, then you shouldn't
worry, should you?'

Well, I do. I can't stand going to class and not follow. It defeats
the purpose of going to class, coz I'm going to class to learn. As
cliche as that might sound, yes, I am actually going to class for
that very purpose. Especially with the fact that this class,
'Calculus III,' is a prerequisite for my subsequent major classes.
It's like Calculus II last spring all over again (a class which I got
an A in), when I could answer most of the questions right, but have
absolutely no idea what the significance of the answer is. It takes
the energy away from me wanting to study for the subject.

Last semester, it was Calculus II and the second half of Principles
and Application of Engineering Materials. This semester, the trend is
pretty much the same, with 'Calculus III' and 'Electrical, Optical
and Magnetic Properties of Materials.' Hopefully it won't follow with
'Object Oriented Programming.'

On a less important note, I've more or less realized that because
Industrial Engineers are not required to take 'Differential
Equations.' my choice of Material Science & Engineering classes will
be very limited. So limited that I might not be able to sit for
enough credits to gain a minor. It seems like the best way out will
be to just take the 4 classes to get a certificate in
'Nanomaterials.' It seems like its the best option, since a minor is
just a minor, whereas with this certificate I'm actually specializing
in Nanomaterials. The second MSE class that I'm taking is one of the
approved electives in order to achieve this certificate, so I can
essentially leave the last two special topics class on Nanomaterials
for my senior year. While holding out for that, I can probably go
ahead and complete the requirements for this other certificate that
I'm trying to earn, which is 'Engineering Entrepreneurship.' I guess
with these two certificates and a bachelor's in Industrial
Engineering, it will be pretty awesome.

Solano came back to Newcastle. It's been an exhilarating couple of
days, I don't think I've been this excited in the 8 years of
supporting a club I've come to love. 30 million pounds has been spent
on 3 players (Owen, Luque and Solano) and it took the total spending
to about 50 million pounds in total if I include Emre, Parker and
Boumsong. The front line looks pretty complete. Ex-England
partnership of Shearer and Owen, midfield bonanza of Luque and Solano
supplying from the wings, Emre and Parker providing the center. I
guess Dyer will act as the free role guy once Shearer retires after
this season. The back's still a worry, Babayaro isn't that tough,
Boumsong showed his frailty over the weekend, Taylor's still growing,
and Carr seems to be the only solid guy there. Given, needless to
say, only needs a better defensive cover. Lineup looks pretty decent
and interesting. We just need a cup, even the Worthless Cup will do,
just anything to make Shearer's last year memorable. I'm not
expecting a top 5 finish, but anything close would be nice. It's
definitely not a short term solution, but hopefully, in the years to
come, this would be a solid squad. Of course, most fans would know
that new signings are usually cursed with injuries (as with the case
of Emre now) and either they need to reform the physio department or
players need to cool a little more.

Either way, it looks exciting, and what I want more than anything now
is a goalfest next weekend. Once we start scoring, the rest should
follow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just so you know.
i'm still reading.
im very faithful!

lol

-jw