Friday, September 02, 2005

New Orleans

I always wanted to just take a visit to New Orleans in Louisiana. I
got to read about the place from the comic of my favourite superhero,
Gambit. All I knew was that it's a place in the South, with a lot of
French tradition still left behind, THE center of pre-Mardi Gras
parties, and most importantly, great seafood. In fact, I was telling
couple of friends that it'll be fantastic if we could go down there
for a road trip. A co-worker at RubberNetwork told me that it's a
really fun city and that I should go sometime.

I didn't quite realize that Hurricane Katrina was that devastating
until a couple of days ago. I knew that the city was below sea level
and had levees to hold the water out, but now, looking at the
pictures, it's completely submerged in water. And what I don't
understand is the reason why some people at shooting at helicopters
and evacuation buses. Obviously people need to get out, so what's in
it for them to prevent these people from seeking help, let alone
survive? It's literally a renegade city.

Some students from Tulane University are holding shelter at Georgia
Tech campus. The Music Listening Room was basically a temporary bed
shelter for some, whereas many organizations on campus offered
housing. It's horrid that this happened before school started for
them. I mean, the damage is so bad, school is essentially suspended
for the entire year. The city basically needs to be completely rebuild.

All Atlanta got was a really bad rain, but that was it. It didn't
flood like it did last year in one of the other Hurricanes.

This brings my questions up once again -- where exactly in the United
States is it safe to live? The South is experiencing Hurricanes,
Midwest is Tornadoes, Northeast is Snow and West coast is earthquakes.

In any case, it doesn't seem like I'll be going to New Orleans
anytime soon. And even if I do, it won't be the same New Orleans as I
pictured from reading Gambit comics.

I'll be heading to Auburn in Alabama for the College Football season
opener tomorrow. Some places in Alabama were affected, but probably
not where I'm heading. Maybe I might see something on the way there.

I'm really hoping for a victory for Georgia Tech. That will be
freaking awesome.

GO JACKETS!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read somewhere once that America has all the natural disasters like you mentioned, except volcanoes. I never forgot that, for some reason. Pity New Orleans has turned out this way, especially for us who's never been :/

~Sha

gtg007w said...

Well, you could consider Volcanoes to exist in Hawaii. Though you can't really say that Hawaii's part of the US even though legally they are...

Denise said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Denise said...

I know its all serious here, but Gambit, the X-men one, from New Orleans?