Saturday, July 09, 2005

lets set the record straight...

i meant to address this issue before my trip to the northeast, but since i have some time in my hands, i might as well do it now.

the question is regarding how i answer when im asked where i am from.

now, if you know me well, you'd know that's an extremely hard question for me to answer. primarily because its such a general question as well. i usually respond by saying, where do you mean? where i lived the longest? where i was born? yada yada ya.

of course, there are many ways to answer this simple question for me. i am bangladeshi by origin and nationality as of yet. my 'home' town should rightly be divided into two, my home by birth, which is kyoto in japan, and singapore, where i spent a vast majority of my life.

however, when i have to fill in forms to indicate where my current permanent address is, it becomes naperville in illinois, USA. so there's the complication, coz i've now stayed in atlanta, georgia longer than i have stayed in naperville, illinois. however, due to my status as a full time student, it doesnt count, as living as a working adult, paying for your bills by yourself accounts for your rightly 'address' and not where you stay doing whatever that you do. even though i will accumulate about to a full year's worth of working experience with the co-op program, it still does not account for it, as i am technically classified as a full time student.

let's take that to another level. when i support countries in sports, what do i do? i usually go along with whatever that the country is known for. bangladesh, is one of the test nations in cricket, so i follow them. for soccer, japan has been doing pretty well since the last decade. but so is the US men's team. by defining a set nation, i'll have to stick with one nation once and for all. what do i do? do i support japan, which is my home by birth, or US, which is now my adopted home?

i think ive reached a conclusion. since by law, it is defined as the place where you can be contacted and you essentially reside, i'll make it simple for myself by just stating naperville, illinois as my answer, unless that changes otherwise. i know by doing so, im implicating myself into having to decide another answer once i graduate and move to wherever that my job takes me to, as then i can't answer once again. but i guess i'll deal with that when the time comes. since i expect that i will be here for some time, maybe surpassing the time i spent in singapore, i might as well prepare for it. that means i will now support the US national team, or whatever. it shall be my adopted home and like the other immigrants who embraced america after their move, i guess i will do so too, but with less vigour.

its weird, coz the question that always messes it up is just with the use of the word 'home.' its not my home town, but it is in some ways. or am i supposed to go and explain my life story? only if they ask. its only added surprise for them. and if they dont, no loss, it'll be some time before they find out about it anyway, its inevitable.

i just caught 'hero.' i didnt get a chance to see it before as it was a last minute notification to which i could not go along with. but that was a really great movie, the cinematography, score and the overall feel of the story was choreographed perfectly.

i have just uploaded another bunch of songs into my ipod and now i have like slightly less than a gb left. i guess after listening to some of the stuff i have, i'll go ahead and delete the ones that i don't listen to.

oh, and a shout out to pamela. good job. goooooood job. i'll be patiently waiting til august or september, if she indeed has the deal on for me. its weird, but exciting. i trust her to know what she's talking about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey man,

whos Pamela!! is she your gf? lol. =p anyway...what i did was the funniest thing according to Mike. haha...i shouldnt like to think otherwise. hes my brother man! i wouldnt publish e photo in the newspapers or anything but on my own personal space yes! haha...

i cant wait till i can come over to visit you. grr. tentatively im thinking of a 2 week trip in June next year.

Plan is to go up to wherever you are, spend 1-2 days. Catch a bus or get Ningci to pick me up, ill visit him and some friends who are in U.Illinois Urbana Champaign. then up to Manhattan where ill see Ena and some old neighbours! =p

ill have to put up with you tho. in your cardboard hut along the sidewalk. lol. =p

-jw

gtg007w said...

just let me know of your plans in advance. i'll be taking classes next summer, so your timing has to be right, hopefully i wont be swamped with too much work, its kind of a crucial semester.

err, for your info, urbana-champaigne and atlanta is like a 2 hour flight, or a 10 hour drive. don't think you wanna put ningci into that much trouble. bus will take like a day maybe.

as for pamela, its our good old marc irawan's cousin. she happens to be studying in emory, which is also located in atlanta and not too far from georgia tech. i try to meet up with her when i can.