Sunday, September 25, 2005

The Station Agent

I managed to squeeze in some time to watch the last of the first 3
Netflix DVDs that I rented, since doing the MSE homework was getting
me nowhere.

'The Station Agent' was awesome, at least in my regard. It's such a
simple movie, yet it evokes so many basic human emotions. It was
somewhat similar to 'Garden State' (and also another film based in
New Jersey) and it really did cheer me up a little after a bad week
for me. The other two DVDs were 'American Splendor' and 'City of
God.' I didn't really like 'Splendor' that much, but I guess it makes
an interesting biopic, whereas 'City' is just, well, magnificent.

I vowed to start a new regime of things from now on, eliminating all
the things that I take for granted, or those things that I do
automatically without even thinking about it. One of my colleagues
while working told me that everyone had an necessary evil, no matter
how good/perfect they were. For most people, its smoking, drinking or
others. But if you think about every single action that you take in
your daily lives, you realize there's all these small things that you
do that you don't quite understand why. For me, it's things like
biting my nails, scratching my forehead, my back, cracking my
fingers, among many things. Can one really be completely free of the
necessary evil? I'm gonna give it a shot. I want to see how long I
can last before it starts taking a toll on me. Some of those things
are so common, it might even begin to wear me out physically and
mentally.

One of the major things is that I'm actually going to utilize all
these breaks I have in between classes, so that I can get more work
done. Usually, what ends up happening is that I'll be surfing the
net, or just talking to friends, when I could get my homework or
studying done, so that I can sleep earlier and longer. I always plan
out my studying time, but I never actually complete my plan. I know
I'm capable of much more, but when I think that I've done enough, I
just stall. That shouldn't be the way. I know I'll wear out faster
and feel more tired during mid-week, but heck, let's try and see.

I've failed 2 tests this semester already, and it's gone awfully out
of what I expected. It seems like I'll be glad just to make a 3.0
this semester, when I should be making at least 3.5. This really
sucks, since failing in the earlier part of the courses essentially
means that the rest of the semester will be spent making up for the
loss. I don't quite understand why it turned out this way. It's not
like I've not been studying, maybe I'm doing it wrongly. I thought
that I was okay, since most students take their hit in their freshmen
year, and I didn't really suffer, mainly because it was very similar
to what it was like in high school. I guess now it's my turn to deal
with the change of pace in college life, now that I'm taking few
tougher classes.

Let's see how this somewhat detox thing can last. Will I really have
an necessary evil so that I have something to blow steam off? I guess
I'll see.

No comments: