Friday, July 23, 2004

health checkup and the rest of the day

woke up early in the morning, coz i had to go to gleneagles for health checkup. ever since my dad's episode, he's not leaving anything to chance, not even us.

so the test was quite interesting, they took my blood pressure, then couple of blood samples, then it was the hearing test. and then, eye check, its different from the ones i had gotten used to at paris miki, coz this machine puffed air right to the eye after it checked the eye power. but the one after that was the worst, yet so cool. this machine focuses on your eye and then suddenly, flashes a light so bright, for like 3 or 4 seconds, that afterwards, you go blind for the next 10 minutes on one eye. but the results are so cool. they actually take a side view of your eye's blood veins. as if my eye was cut into half. while my right eye was recovering, i went to do my ECG (dont ask me what that stands for, they plugged couple of cables over my veins and then recorded the pulse and such on the graph) the one after this was the highlight of the day. i stood on this machine and held two tubes, with a button, that supposedly sent weak electricity through my body, to determine my body composition. it could tell how much fat i had, how much water i had and how much muscles i had. sad to say, 25% of my body is made of fat. yes. out of 65.5kg, 16kg was fat. how embarassing. i need to convert some of those fat into muscles, but thats coz ive not been excersizing as much. i need to lose about 6kg of fat, to be at the normal level. i took a chest x-ray, and then the doc did couple of reflex tests on me, and at the same time pointing out that my thyroids were too big, but concluded its probably due to my neck muscles that it looked inflammated. the last item was the threadmill. it was ok, but coz i didnt warm my muscles before it, my calves got so tough when i started running, it started to give a lot of pain. i finished normally, but the calves were so painful. and i didnt feel right, especially when they took out like 3 tubes of blood from me only 2 hours prior to the threadmill test.

so it was a fun experience. but at the end of the day, when we had to do the payment (it'll later be covered by insurance) we payed 2k for the three of us. i remember my dad stating a simple line that made me think about affordable medicare: 'how much is one's life actually worth?' i mean, simple checks like that cost 600++,  its evident its affordable only to the riches. im touching this topic again, following last night. its scary to think that its the wealthy who can afford medicare, while the rest suffers and cant prolong their life.

went home, started watching mystic river. watched only half way through, coz i went to NP to meet hazril and kim. there, met his friend Ahmad, who i think i got along pretty well, coz we were sharing jokes and laughing in no time, he's pretty funny guy. we left for peninsula plaza with kim and siyan, and we had dinner at sakura restaurant. i thought it was japanese, but it was supposedly thai-chinese. anyway, food was great, i had my favourite kang kong and fried rice. i wasnt exactly too full, so i got myself two bars of the kitkat chunky and a drink to top it off. we went near the esplanade area, along the singapore river, and talked for a while before heading back. it was a very nice evening spent. oh, and hazril and kim, thanks a lot for the present, i sure like it a lot!

so got home and resumed watching mystic river. it was a gripping tale, i must say, with a surprise twist (like any other.. well, these kinda movies needs a twist) god, i love mysteries too. especially ones like this.

grr... im not gonna be able to see my cousin who's gonna fly from atlanta to virginia. coz im reaching around 5, while she's leaving around 2. grrr... as if things werent unconvenient enough.

wanted to watch whole nine yards, but realized its too late. so i was blogging here. and now that im done, im off to sleep, and rest my eyes that has been made sore by the contact lenses, once again.

No comments: