Friday, April 21, 2006

The Georgia Tech Terrorist

I had a major scare yesterday, reading some articles off CNN and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (the articles are HERE and HERE respectively) where supposedly someone was caught. The descriptions being the following:

21 years old, Georgia Tech student, Engineering major, Bangladeshi, lives in Atlanta.

All of the above descriptions fits me. BUT it wasn't me. Imagine my relief.

Some dude got caught for harboring some terrorist intentions and whatnot. I was so afraid FBI or someone was gonna call me up or knock on my door and take me for questioning. I don't know the dude who got caught, neither have I ever heard of him. I don't know other Bengalis around in campus except for this other guy who's in my fraternity and it certainly isn't him either. Except for that, I don't think there's more than a handful of students who fit that description on campus, so there was good reason for me to be afraid for questioning.

Even though there is no link or information that I can provide, I thought I'd get in serious trouble just for being against American foreign policies, but hey, who isn't guilty of that?

It's been pretty fun in ATLanta. There was some suspicious item found in the airport on Wednesday which caused the airport shutdown for like 2 hours, delaying all flights and conducting a search, etc. On the other hand, some kids from Riverton, Kansas were planning a Columbia High School massacre style shooting, but one of the guys posted something on MySpace which led authorities to unveil the plot. Seriously, how dumb can you get? You're planning something like that, thinking you're all so smart and cool and then you give it away on the net. Real smart.

It's another example where what you post on the web isn't exactly private, no matter what you think. Blogs, social websites, etc are all on the World Wide Web. Anything on the web is visible in one way or another. Always remeber that: you leave tracks everywhere.

No comments: