Sunday, January 15, 2006

I'm not gone!

Sorry for the lack of updates since I returned from Singapore. It's been pretty busy, as I had the Housing Staff Training right after I returned, as well as getting back to work, catching up and all. I definitely was looking forward to getting the first week done and over with, and I've had a pretty relaxing weekend. My friends and I planned a mega movie marathon, but since some of the guys were kind of late in getting over to the theatre, our planned schedule got messed up, and we only ended up catching two movies, which were 'Syriana' (Brilliant!) and 'Munich' (Excellent, but fell slightly below what I expected it to be). Had the plan gone right, we would have caught 'Hostel,' 'Geisha' and 'Narnia' but that wasn't to be. Not to worry, I'm planning another marathon next week where at least 'Hostel' and the much anticipated 'Brokeback Mountain' is in the offing. We might or might not add something to those two.

The Housing Staff training was basically Thursday evening, whole of Friday and just the early part of Saturday. I had braced myself to be busy over the whole weekend, so it was a pleasant surprise to discover that I could sleep in to get my body back in sync with Eastern Standard Time and do a little shopping before my work term started. Work this week was hectic, since a lot of thing has changed since I left in August. It's the nature of the company, it's always implementing new stuff and our focus changes pretty rapidly. I'll be working for the same company every 4 or 5 months until the summer of 2007, but I can tell that by then, we'll be doing completely different stuff, which is interesting. One colleague from Tokyo was here for a knowledge exchange, so I was helping translate, and I realize how horrible my Japanese had become. I was actually finding it hard to converse! This is what lack of usage of a language does to you. It was pretty scary, as I can still read pretty well and comprehend what is being said to me, but when it came down to writing or speaking it, I had a huge problem. This really needs working on, it'll be a huge waste if I am to forget Japanese. On the other hand, since we deal with a lot of Europeans, the office might start to conduct French classes, as early as next week, which I'm pretty excited about. I intend to learn Spanish some time into the future, but heck, if the office is going to conduct a French lesson after work, I'm taking that up without a doubt.

The problem though, is that I might be overloading myself yet again. I'm taking two classes online, one a technical communications writing class and the other, general psychology. It's pretty fun stuff, psychology class is pretty much structured, whereas technical communications is a self-paced course and I've gotten a little ahead of schedule for the first couple of weeks since it's pretty much introductory stuff. However, there's no pressure to excel here, so I can take my own time for these classes. I do my readings in the train to and from work, so some of the class prep is done every day.

Yep.. that's pretty much the update for now. It sucks that I'm gonna miss a whole lot of events for January. There's the Lenny Kravitz/Aerosmith gig tonight, but the ticket's beyond my budget, Russel Peter's probably not worth the 50 bucks, but I might just give Sevendust a shot. Jamie Cullum's coming to Atlanta again in March, but I've yet to make up my mind about him, whereas Michael Buble's a little too pricey. Since I wasn't working last semester, my credit card bills are stacking up, so most of my earnings over the month will be paying back bills, but I should be completely fine by the end of the month.

Alright, that's pretty much it for my update for now. I'll update whenever I can.

No comments: