Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Taking a break

Today's more or less a break day from the training (which finished on
Sunday) and the moving in duty that's going to be taking place
throughout this week and the weekend.

The last few days of the staff training consisted mainly of round
robins sessions, which were alright. I just couldn't wait to get the
training over and done with. I can't wait for the semester to start
and get back to studying. (as funny as that may sound)

But I'm not complaining, it wasn't as arduous, so I had some time to
watch a number of films. Well, I've done a little too much of movie
watching to be honest. Let's see what I caught... I finally got to
see Luc Besson's 'Nikita,' and a Sundance winner that Sandesh
recommended, 'Personal Velocity: Three Portraits' which was really
good. And then another Luc Besson, a film I wanted to catch at the
theatre but never got to, 'Danny The Dog' (or more commonly known as
'Unleashed.' Luc's films are often given another titles when marketed
in the US). I've kind of realized that Luc's films have a very subtle
theme of basic human emotions being rediscovered by the main
character. I watched 'Closer' yet again, and I don't care how many of
you think that movie's awful, I personally think it's a pretty
accurate portrayal of relationships in the modern era. Plus the
acting! Then it was another Sundance winner, 'The Believer.' After
that was Wong Kar Wai's highly acclaimed '2046' which was very
interesting. I kind of got confused and lost somewhere along the way,
but I managed to pick it up again later on. It's my first Wong Kar
Kai film (except for the short he did for BMW) and I was really
impressed, I wonder why I haven't caught many of his other films.
Will be giving his famed 'In a Mood for Love' later on in the week.
Clive Owen's 'I'll Sleep When I'm Dead' was a dark tale of revenge
and brotherhood, a typical Brit styled movie. Last night, I caught
Russell Crowe's 'Romper Stomper,' another tale of neo-Nazi's trying
to make their mark and eventually faltering.

I'll try to catch 'Igby Goes Down' and 'American Splendor' as well as
'Primer' in the coming days, three films I've been waiting to catch
but never managed to get the file. Plus now that I've found a site
that allows the downloading of documentaries by BitTorrent, so I
might start to get into that as well. I need to watch 'Enron.' 'The
Corporation' and other major ones that has surfaced recently.

No comments: