Sunday, August 28, 2005

Cronicas

And so it seems like the Arts Theater outing will be a regular thing,
now that couple of friends who are interested in catching these
obscure movies return. Since it was the end of what seemed like a
long first week back in school (maybe it seemed like that to me as I
didn't have that much of a break between housing training and school)
it was only fitting that we go do something enjoyable. We skipped on
the BT gig last week, as I was kind of tired and the others seemed to
want to stay in their new rooms. But not this time, I was itching for
some movie watching.

I still do want to catch 'The Aristocrats' but since that was being
shown in a theater that's some distance away and none of us had a
car, we decided to go to the good old Midtown Arts Theatre. With this
group of people, it seems like it might start to be a regular thing,
which makes me happy. There was a Latin American film being screened,
named 'Cronicas' (or in English, 'The Chronicle') that seemed to be
pretty interesting, so I called up some friends who also expressed an
interest in catching the show.

The movie was about a renowned reporter from Miami who works for a
news channel. He seems to have a knack for solving cases while doing
a report and is sent to Ecuador where there is a child rapist/
murderer aptly named the 'Monster of Babahoyo' lurking about. He
comes in at a time where there is an accident that results in a man
who 'knows' about this monster getting in contact with the reporter.

The tagline for the movie read 'What you see on TV has to be the
truth.' That served the theme of the movie pretty well, as I started
out watching the movie thinking that the man was the Monster, but by
the end, I wasn't exactly sure. Karun and Phani seemed convinced that
the man was the monster, whereas James, Gautam and I couldn't be too
sure (for some it maybe obvious, but there are lot of facts that
still leaves me unable to answer the question). Regardless, it
conveyed the message that if a news is reported inaccurately, it
could potentially send a murderer back into society, and I think the
director did a pretty good job at that. I enjoyed the thrill aspect
of the movie a lot, I haven't seen something like this in a while.
Also, I got to see the beautiful Leonor Watling from 'Talk To Her' in
the movie, so I'm definitely not complaining.

Before school started I also managed to catch 'Igby Goes Down,'
'Primer' and '12 Angry Men.' The last one was absolutely fantastic.

I decided I shouldn't take 21 hours after all. The Material Science
class that I'm taking this semester is going to be pretty technical,
and the International Affairs class that discusses Political
Philosophy and Ideologies seem very interesting, but with a lot of
reading involved. Besides, I'm better off staying this way, I can
concentrate on the 3 important classes in Calc 3, Java and
Probability, and do enough research into Green GDP, and I've got my
17 hours for this semester, while managing time doing Housing work.
If I take 6 hours of online classes while doing work in the Spring
and 16 hours over the summer, I'll still be a senior by next Fall, so
everything should fall into plan.

I guess I'm turning in for the night now.

Has anyone watched Thievery Corporation's new video 'The Time We Lost
Our Way'? The music and the music video is such a calm serenade, it
makes me feel great. You should be able to find it in iTunes' music
video section, or go to their website.

No comments: