Monday, July 25, 2005

Two 1

So I've turned 21.

Is it just me or does no one else see that this whole 'you-gotta-do-
something-it's-your-birthday' thing is out of proportions? Everyone
seems to react to 'No, I don't have any plans, I'm not really going
to do anything' like the world's turned upside down. I feel like
there's a social pressure to do something special on your birthday,
and I don't like doing things when its forced upon.

I'll tell you why. It's not particularly special because I don't
drink (for my Singaporean friends, the legal age to drink in the US
is 21), I don't really go to clubs or pubs (the major ones, I've been
to some others that is not 21 and over), and I don't think I need a
car at this point. (I'm just gonna wait until October or Novemeber
when I go to Illinois to renew my ID/licence)

I don't want to sound like a bitch, but seriously, its just another
day. Like any other day. I don't need a reason to be doing something
different on a particular day. If I feel like doing something, I'll
go do it.

It's just that it happens to be a Monday of a really long week, where
I have a pretty important meeting that is going to last for 2 days.
And I have things to prepare. Even if not, I still would not be
celebrating.

Please do not make a big deal out of this, I'm not the kind that
celebrates birthdays anyway and haven't really done so in the past
few years. I've also stopped requesting for presents and such for my
birthdays, only did it when some people insisted. But if celebrating
makes you happy, then by all means, please go ahead.

But thanks to those who called me up, sent me e-mails, instant
messages and the likes among others. Your thoughts are very much
appreciated.

If it makes any of you feel any better, then I'll just do what I like
to do best: watch movies. If it makes any more difference at all,
then I'll watch what is regarded to be one of the best independent
film of all time, 'One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest.' I'm sure you'll be elated to know that I'm going to do that right this minute.

Okay, sorry, that was a little too sarcastic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

merry birthday! :)