Friday, June 10, 2005

Back from the absence

This probably has been the longest period where I have not blogged. It's been almost 2 weeks. Such was the lifestyle that I could not sit down and just blog. I usually get up by 7AM, come back to my room at Chi Psi around 6PM and then I'll go about settling dinner, be it eating out, which is most frequent, or eating whatever instant stuff that I keep in my room.
 
I can't say that I hate working life -  in fact, I like it better than school life. Though I miss the day to day interactions at campus, the best thing about working is that once I'm off work, I have absolutely no obligation whatsoever, whereas, on the other hand, if you're in school, you still have to deal with extracurricular meetings, homeworks, etc. However, all these extra time is being put to waste. I initially hoped that I will read up, watch a movie or hang around with my friends. I am mentally drained by the time I come back, so I try not to do so.
 
The first 2 weeks at work was really tough. I've never held an actual paying job prior to this and I never worked like 7 hours at one go, so adapting to it took some time. However, this week, I think I finally got the hang of things and am very pleased with myself for being very productive and efficient. I guess its all a matter of time before you get used to new things.
 
What I do hate though, is what happens after work. I tend to go over to Sandesh's place at West Campus, where we basically do nothing but sit around and waiting for things to happen. I hate that. I'm the kind of person who always plans things in advance so that it is never necessary to take an hour or two to decide what to do. It feels like I'm back in high school where it took at least an hour before everyone could all agree to do something, and I've wasted too many weekends being like that. The past few weekends, we wasted one hour deciding where to eat, another hour deciding where to go, and another deciding which movie to watch. I can't waste any more time like that. It's already the end of the 4th week, it's a third way through summer, and before I know it, I'll be back in school. I guess I'll insist on doing things my own way instead of letting them decide, and should they decide to watch a movie I've already seen, I'll retreat into my room and watch the movies I still have in my laptop that I've yet to see. I've also wasted too much time watching movies that others have not seen, but I have.
 
I refered my friend Sandesh as my rotation guy for my job. I don't think I've made it clear how this co-operative education system works. Basically, its the same as an internship, but internships are usually for one session, and maybe, at most, two. It can vary from 3 to 6 months per session. What is different about the co-op program is that we alternate work and academic semesters until I have worked at least 4 semesters. (with the same company) We are not allowed to work consecutive semesters, meaning we will be alternating work and study semesters every semester. That means I will have to go back to school next semester, but come back to work for my spring semester, so on and so forth. Usually this delays a student's time in college from 4 years to 5, since it is basically adding a year's worth of work experience. However, I am fortunate enough to have gained enough credits to skip one semester, meaning I can do co-op and still manage to graduate in 4 years' time, provided I don't fail any of my major classes.
 
It is an opportunity I could not let go, since relevant work experience is very important upon graduation. I could have graduated in 3 years, but why not delay that by a year so that I can boost my resume and my chances of getting a really good job? At this moment in time, I cannot say how my path will be like, as many co-op students end up working for the same company as a full-time (well, we are technically full-time during co-op semesters) employee upon graduation.
 
I like the things that we deal with in RubberNetwork, and its really engaging, giving me full exposure to the Supply Chain and Logistics industry. I guess I made the right choice, going with what I like.
 
Many people hate their work, because they do it for the money. If you forget about that and like what you're doing, it actually becomes enjoyable. Many of my friends ask me why I'm putting so much effort and time into my work when I'm just an intern, and I reply that I'm not doing it for the money, but to get an exposure. And to get the most amount of exposure and challenge, I must do as many things as I can get my hands on. That's the philosophy I've held in me since Middle School and I've been very pleased with the many things I've come to do, which has enabled me to be the person that I am today. And something tells me I should not stop.
 
Most of my peers do these part time work to get some income, and that's good, as that satisfies their need, but I can't stand it when they bitch about their work. If you don't like what you do, just quit and look for something else. Earning money often blinds people and I think that should not be the sole reason why youths should work for. But then again, I might be contradicting myself, as I do earn quite a bit from this co-op job. Obviously I will not do something for nothing in return, but I ask that I be paid what I'm worth, or be paid what I deserve to get paid for. I'm not a big spender, I'm not materialistic, and I detest over-priced products that serve no apparant purpose. Most of my earnings go to food. Isn't that why we work for? To be able to eat and to have shelter? Everything else is a luxury option. Right now, my priority to is to be able to stay somewhere, to be able to eat and not starve to bad food, and the rest is meant to go into the savings account so that I will not have too much problems when I decide paying back my student loans. It's all for the long term.
 
Since I have one leg into the working world, this experience has brought me so much insight, more than the work aspect. I don't regret this at all, and loving every minute of it.
 
However, I have been having second thoughts about my academic choices at Georgia Tech as of late. I had all these plans to do everything at Georgia Tech, and recently I've started to question why I should do it. My masterplan would have been to obtain a minor in Material Science and Engineering, obtain a certificate in the Finance Program, join a Fraternity, be part of the Student Government Association, be part of the Residence Hall Association (done), be a Housing Staff (done), be a Teaching Assistant, be a co-op (done), do an Undergrad Research and graduate with Honors.
 
That, is crazy. I do realize that. I could, on the other hand, chuck all that off, and still graduate with Honors, be a Housing Staff and a co-op student and that's plenty.
 
I'm having a hard time deciding what to do about it. If I decide to do nothing at all, likely chances are that I will probably do well academically, but on the other hand, I want a complete experience at college level, and let's face it, I'll never have this experience ever again, unless I decide to go to Graduate School of course (and that's another completely different story).
 
It's something that's so far ahead in the future, but something I have to decide pretty soon, as it influences how many classes I should take and how much things I can do that semester. Everything is about planning and being mentally prepared.
 
I guess I still have the course of the summer to decide what I really should do.
 
Most of the people in the office are gone, since its a friday, its common that most people leave early, to avoid the weekend traffic. I guess I'll continue the entry when I get back to my room, the remaining people are joking around and I wanna join in the conversation.

No comments: