Monday, November 15, 2004

'Una Palabra'

i finally got hold of the song that i first heard it on one of the BMW short films (Power Keg, to be specific) by a director named Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu.

i remember when i was spreading the awesomeness of those films to the guys here at tech and i remember vividly when daniel told me that that was a very beautiful song. he couldnt translate it completely, since his spanish is probably like my japanese, but he said that its an outstanding song.

while watching 'Man On Fire,' i heard the song again. this time, i could find the song in the credits, unlike the BMW film, so i was super excited when i got hold of the song.

its by a Cuban singer/songwriter named Carlos Varela. and i also happened to get hold of the translated lyrics.

oh, and 'Una Palabra' means 'One Word.'

"A word says nothing
And at the same time it hides everything
Just as the wind that hides the water
Like the flowers that hide the mud.

A glance says nothing
And at the same time it says everything
Like the rain on your face
Or an old treasure map.

A truth says nothing
And at the same time it hides everything
Like a bonfire that does not go out
Like a stone that is born dust.

If one day I'm without you, I will be nothing
And at the same time I will be everything
Because in your eyes are my wings
And the shore where I drown,
Because in your eyes are my wings
And the shore where I drown."


and the Spanish version...

"Una palabra no dice nada
y al mismo tiempo lo esconde todo
igual que el viento que esconde el agua
como las flores que esconde el lodo.

Una mirada no dice nada
y al mismo tiempo lo dice todo
como la lluvia sobre tu cara
o el viejo mapa de algún tesoro.

Una verdad no dice nada
y al mismo tiempo lo esconde todo
como una hoguera que no se apaga
como una piedra que nace polvo.

Si un día me faltas no seré nada
y al mismo tiempo lo seré todo
porque en tus ojos están mis alas
y está la orilla donde me ahogo,
porque en tus ojos están mis alas
y está la orilla donde me ahogo."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Thanks for the lyrics... they are really hard to find.

Christa