Friday, November 12, 2004

locked out

i did something i never do yesterday.

i left my keys in my room, which meant i locked myself out. and its the university system of georgia rule that we cant duplicate our keys, due to obviously security reasons.

and the worst part? i had a test in about 40 minutes.

i couldnt call the people who are supposed to help you out in situations like this, primarily because once i go out, i can't get back in, since i dont have the keys, and how am i supposed to call the numbers, when the emergency phone booth is located far away, and i cant possibly remember 9 digit numbers. not to mention, i was wearing a single layer of clothing, and its freaking cold in the morning nowadays.

i didnt freak out, my room mate comes back after his class (the session before mine) i decided to rely on the possibility that he will come back and open the door. as for the test, for my calculus class, we have 6 tests throughout the semester, and we can drop the lowest one. i already knew that the test that i was going to have was gonna be my worst one,regarding volumes of revolutions, with things ive never learnt even in JC. so it didnt quite matter whether i was there on time or not. in the end, my room mate returned, and i changed, got my stuff, and left for the test, bowing never to leave my keys again. i went to the test 20 minutes late, but i had prepared myself mentally, and honestly, even if i was there 20 minutes earlier, it wouldnt have made much difference, coz the wording in questions were ambiguous. i did couple of questions, took my time, and just submitted it. since its not gonna matter. i know the next test it based on logarithm and exponential, which is pretty straight forward, so i just have to ace that one, and make sure i do well for the finals.

and i am so glad that i carry my powerbook everywhere. for some reason, my energy for the rest of the day died down, so i could not pay much attention to my lectures. so ill just use my powerbook, and since theres wireless access everywhere in campus, i just did my own thing, and time passes so fast when youre doing your own thing.

the weather's been really cold recently. it was about 10 degrees celcius for the better part of yesterday. and whats worse, i have to play intramural soccer in this weather at 7PM. its too cold for my liking, so much that during second half, my legs are no longer able to move the way i intend them to. plus the fact that ive lost fitness, which is slowly being regained, since i run a lot during the game, though im not entirely happy that im not getting much ball action. the thing was that i had to play 2 games in successive days. its good that we won both games (we are currently unbeaten, but we need to score more goals) but its the weather that just kills me.

i was really unhappy on wednesday. the opponents were really physical and the fact that the referees didnt do a good job didnt make it better. i was on the receiving end of 3 harsh tackles and that referee didnt give a single foul. one of them was so bad, i took the ball, passed it to my team mate immediately, and it was like a full second later that this guy came running into my leg and took me on the ground. i looked at the referee for such a late foul and she didnt even indicate anything. someone else jammed at my toes sometime later and still no foul. even my peer leader, scott was displeased, and he actually asked whether she was paying attention to the game at all or not. she just stared back at him like what he said was wrong, which so wasn't. my knee still hurts when i walk from that tackle, but what made me pissed is that the opponents got away unpunished.

other than that, all's good. this weekend will be interesing, weekend full of watching sports. on saturday, its the Georgia Tech vs UConn football match. I've invited Leisha and her friend from Emory to catch the game since Emory dont have a NCAA Division 1 sporting team. After that, I'm going to catch the Atlanta Hawks vs. San Antonia Spurs NBA match. I'll get to see Tim Duncan! and on sunday, its another GT Basketball exhibition match. later on, ill have my first hearing as the judge of the judicial board, which will be interesting.

its also the eid, but since im so far away from everyone, i wont get to celebrate. my mom has an aunt about 20 minutes from tech, in a place named Lilburn. Since i dont have modes of transport, im not sure how this will work out, but ill call her later on today to see what can be done, whether i'll be able to go join them or not. its times like these that you really miss your family. if my cousin had still stayed in UGA, we probably would have met up and spent some good time.

my schedule for next semester's all fine. im pushing myself with 19 hours, but it'll most probably be 17 after the first week. im taking a junior level course to see how its like, so that i know what ill be taking later on. im a sophomore by next semester, so looking at the schedule, i guess i shouldnt be surprised that im taking a lot of sophomore/junior/senior level courses. So i'll be taking MATH1502 (calc II), CS1371 (intro computing for engineers), ECON2100 (policies), MSE2001 (materials applications), ECE3710 (circuits), JAPN4813 (japanese business translation) and ISYE4991 (environmental sustainability).

i decided to take ENGL1102 and PSYC1101 for later, since these are the courses i need to take, that is more important, since those two classes are just requirements and not prerequisites or special topics.

alright.. im off to my last class for the week...

No comments: