Friday, January 16, 2004

theres some error in my html codes.. the yellow caution sign doesnt escape my eyes. mayb gotta skim through the codes later on n hope to rectify the error. most prob its coz of the klink message thing. actually i should remove that since ive got tag board. since then, noone has left any message on my posts. ahh, heck.

anyway, i finished readin jhumpa lahiri's v interestin novel, 'namesake.' it was the one featured in TIME. n if ever someone asks me which book influences me the most in the next 10, 20 years or so, i think this is it. the story is more or less like my life. the book describes of a couple who go to boston from calcutta after arranged marriage. then they hav a son, who grows up to be an ABCD (american born confused deshi) and he starts questionin the way his life is n all. he basically grows up like any american, but his family is pretty much still backward, always remainin as immigrants.

i can identify with the boy's problems. i dont necessarily fit into my so called community, i still get the feelin they think im a modernized outcast in a way coz i dont speak bengali properly, dont practice my religion wit heart, etc. so readin through the book, i was totally immersed in their environment coz tt was more or less my kinda environment, n i might b settlin down in the new england area, so that was another thing.

picked up certain views n points to note from this journey. now i dont feel so bad not bein able to identify myself or not knowin where i belong to n all. i am who i am, doesnt matter how screwed up i can be. besides, the place i am goin, people are goin in n out on a daily basis, i think i would fit right in. as for a lot of private thoughts that ive been speakin to my very close friends about, well, its no more a worry, coz my mind is crystal clear right now. i feel so much better after readin this book n it has been v insightful.

well, considerin she won a pulitzer for her first book, i think this is a v gd next step tt she took.

i will embrace this novel for quite some time to come. u guys should try too.

No comments: